SWO Board Meeting
Sunday October 15, 2017
Briarwood Retreat Center
Meeting was held following week-end retreat Sunday service. Sarah opened with prayer.
- Ann Hanley reported there were 4 scholarships awarded to the Fall Retreat
- We tabled Policies and procedures.
- Fall Retreat –was conducted at Briarwood Retreat Center. We read evaluation sheets. Sarah will consolidate the evaluation. We asked about making signs for the prayer labyrinth. We’re obtaining approval and an estimate.
Next Board Meeting – will be January 20 at one of the Metroplex North Churches (Rejoice in Frisco). They will be hosting the SWO Convention in October 2018.
Meeting closed with the Doxology.
Glenda Phillips, Secretary
As your conference committee meets to set a date and plan your 2018 Spring Gathering, please let President Gohlke know so she can put you on the synodical women’s calendar and the NT-NL calendar.
Dallas Area Metro North: Saturday April 7th
Heart of Texas: April 14th
Panhandle: April 21, Red Zone Café on Slide Road in Lubbock, Texas. They have a large banquet room that is reserved for that day for W-ELCA.
Meetings will be posted in the Tapestry and on our website as they are shared.
How are you celebrating Bold Women’s Day? You can start by visiting wela.org/bwd and downloading our updated resources. The “Celebrate Bold Women’s Day” resource, available in English and soon in Spanish, offers a starting point for planning your special day. The website also offers free downloadable certificates, promotional posters, bulletin ads and a Facebook cover photo. “Be bold, take risks on account of the gospel, but believe more boldly still in Jesus”, said Martin Luther. And that’s what we celebrate through Bold Women’s Day: women who are bold, women who take risks on account of the gospel, women who believe more boldly still in Jesus.
Heart of Texas Planning Meeting
- On Saturday, January 13, First Lutheran in Temple will host a meeting of the HOT Conference Board to plan for the Conference Spring Gathering. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. A light lunch will be provided. This meeting is for Unit Presidents or an Executive Committee member representing, and the hosting Church units only.
- The Spring Gathering will also be at First Lutheran, Temple on April 14.
Burdine Wuthwich, First Lutheran, Temple, TX
What’s Happening at Saint Matthew, Waco
We will be installing new officers for the 2018 year in January. They are:
Wanda Kilstrom, President
Jean Moeller, Vice President
Carol Linda, Secretary
Kim Browne, Treasurer
Alaine Copeland, Mission Action
Arlene Schwarz, Mission Growth
Paula Jenson, Mission Community
Our Spring Retreat will be Saturday, February 24. Please save the date.
Peggy Tooker, Outgoing President
Every year at the Conference of Presidents held in Chicago in February, an agency is chosen to be the recipient of our in-kind giving. This year it will be http://www.sarahsinn.org/en/, an agency providing comprehensive support to those impacted by domestic violence (and even does DV prevention in the schools). With a relatively small staff they accomplish amazing things. For each of the past three years we in the NT-NL Synodical W-ELCA local units have been very generous and have sent $600 in gift cards each February. Can we do it again for a fourth year? Requested giving is in the form of gift cards in denominations of $15-$25 (from stores that carry groceries, toiletries, household items, school supplies, etc.). I encourage you in our local units to support this project. You can send the gift cards to Sarah Gohlke, 750 CR 245, Gatesville, TX 76528 by February 15th, and they will be delivered at the CoP in Chicago in February 2018.
Actions, Memorials and Resolutions – In business sessions, the voting members of the Tenth Triennial Convention of Women of the ELCA:
- Acted to affirm the ELCA’s repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery and encourage education and relationship building
- Referred to the 2017-2020 Executive Board consideration of budgetary support for Today’s Dream: Tomorrow’s Reality (TDTR) anti-racism programming.
- Resolved to raise awareness of the tainted water in Flint, Michigan, and/or offer tangible support to the people in Flint.
- Rejected the memorial to lower the number of Synodical Women’s Organization (SWO) elected board members to three.
- Resolved to support the United National Convention on the Rights of a Child and clearly condemn all forms of corporal punishment of children.
- Resolved to educate and act to reduce domestic abuse and violence and help survivors recover.
- Resolved to encourage all participants to hold in prayer the Bible Women of India.
- Resolved to establish July 11 – February 4, 2018, as a time of prayer in ELCA congregations to end human trafficking and to work in cooperation with other agencies, task forces and groups to end human trafficking and support its victims.
- Resolved to “go green” at the Eleventh Triennial Convention and Gathering in 2020, encouraging voting members and participants to reduce waste by using their personal electronic devices instead of paper and by bringing reusable cups and refillable water bottles. (Visit welca.org/shop to purchase an All Anew tumbler.)
- Resolved to support the leadership needs in the ELCA by encouraging women to seek rostered leadership and to promote support for the ELCA Fund for Leaders.
- Requested the executive board constitutional committee consider a constitutional change to allow up to two SWO board members to be from the same congregational unit. (The executive board denied this request at the October meeting.)