How are you celebrating Bold Women’s Day? You can start by visiting wela.org/bwd and downloading our updated resources. The “Celebrate Bold Women’s Day” resource, available in English and soon in Spanish, offers a starting point for planning your special day. The website also offers free downloadable certificates, promotional posters, bulletin ads and a Facebook cover photo. “Be bold, take risks on account of the gospel, but believe more boldly still in Jesus”, said Martin Luther. And that’s what we celebrate through Bold Women’s Day: women who are bold, women who take risks on account of the gospel, women who believe more boldly still in Jesus.
Heart of Texas Planning Meeting
- On Saturday, January 13, First Lutheran in Temple will host a meeting of the HOT Conference Board to plan for the Conference Spring Gathering. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. A light lunch will be provided. This meeting is for Unit Presidents or an Executive Committee member representing, and the hosting Church units only.
- The Spring Gathering will also be at First Lutheran, Temple on April 14.
Burdine Wuthwich, First Lutheran, Temple, TX
What’s Happening at Saint Matthew, Waco
We will be installing new officers for the 2018 year in January. They are:
Wanda Kilstrom, President
Jean Moeller, Vice President
Carol Linda, Secretary
Kim Browne, Treasurer
Alaine Copeland, Mission Action
Arlene Schwarz, Mission Growth
Paula Jenson, Mission Community
Our Spring Retreat will be Saturday, February 24. Please save the date.
Peggy Tooker, Outgoing President
Every year at the Conference of Presidents held in Chicago in February, an agency is chosen to be the recipient of our in-kind giving. This year it will be http://www.sarahsinn.org/en/, an agency providing comprehensive support to those impacted by domestic violence (and even does DV prevention in the schools). With a relatively small staff they accomplish amazing things. For each of the past three years we in the NT-NL Synodical W-ELCA local units have been very generous and have sent $600 in gift cards each February. Can we do it again for a fourth year? Requested giving is in the form of gift cards in denominations of $15-$25 (from stores that carry groceries, toiletries, household items, school supplies, etc.). I encourage you in our local units to support this project. You can send the gift cards to Sarah Gohlke, 750 CR 245, Gatesville, TX 76528 by February 15th, and they will be delivered at the CoP in Chicago in February 2018.
Actions, Memorials and Resolutions – In business sessions, the voting members of the Tenth Triennial Convention of Women of the ELCA:
- Acted to affirm the ELCA’s repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery and encourage education and relationship building
- Referred to the 2017-2020 Executive Board consideration of budgetary support for Today’s Dream: Tomorrow’s Reality (TDTR) anti-racism programming.
- Resolved to raise awareness of the tainted water in Flint, Michigan, and/or offer tangible support to the people in Flint.
- Rejected the memorial to lower the number of Synodical Women’s Organization (SWO) elected board members to three.
- Resolved to support the United National Convention on the Rights of a Child and clearly condemn all forms of corporal punishment of children.
- Resolved to educate and act to reduce domestic abuse and violence and help survivors recover.
- Resolved to encourage all participants to hold in prayer the Bible Women of India.
- Resolved to establish July 11 – February 4, 2018, as a time of prayer in ELCA congregations to end human trafficking and to work in cooperation with other agencies, task forces and groups to end human trafficking and support its victims.
- Resolved to “go green” at the Eleventh Triennial Convention and Gathering in 2020, encouraging voting members and participants to reduce waste by using their personal electronic devices instead of paper and by bringing reusable cups and refillable water bottles. (Visit welca.org/shop to purchase an All Anew tumbler.)
- Resolved to support the leadership needs in the ELCA by encouraging women to seek rostered leadership and to promote support for the ELCA Fund for Leaders.
- Requested the executive board constitutional committee consider a constitutional change to allow up to two SWO board members to be from the same congregational unit. (The executive board denied this request at the October meeting.)
At the SWO convention in October 2018, we will be electing new executive officers and board members. All positions will be open for election or re-election. At this time the president, treasurer, and at least one board member’s position will be vacated. And there may be others. But elections will be held for all positions on the board. It is an honor to serve this organization as a member of the board.
LWR Quilt & Kit Ministry Guide 2018-2019
Ladies who are quilters and kit makers, please have your W-ELCA president/contact person order the new guides. You can go to lwr.org or email@example.com to order these guides, or call 800.597.5972 for help in getting the new guides in your hands so you know about any changes that have been made.
Scheduled Gather Bible Studies
Winter 2018: Multiple meanings: Learning from other interpretations by Mark Allan Powell.
January: Session one – Washing hands with distant hearts (March 7: 1-12)
February: Session two – Prepare the Way of the Lord (Luke 3: 3-17)
March: Session three – The Good Samaritan (Luke 10-30-37)
April: Session four – The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-20)