All presidents of local W-ELCA units should have received an email from your SWO board liaison person with the information that is needed for packing and shipping quilts and kits for Lutheran World Relief. If you have not received your LWR instructions, please have your W-ELCA president/contact person ask for the information and order the new guides. You can go to lwr.org or email@example.com to order these guides, or call 800.597.5972 for help in getting the new guides in your hands so you know about any changes that have been made. Your local president may also contact her SWO board liaison for the information. If you are unable to get ahold of your liaison, please contact President Sarah Gohlke.
How are you celebrating Bold Women’s Day? You can start by visiting wela.org/bwd and downloading our updated resources. The “Celebrate Bold Women’s Day” resource, available in English and soon in Spanish, offers a starting point for planning your special day. The website also offers free downloadable certificates, promotional posters, bulletin ads and a Facebook cover photo. “Be bold, take risks on account of the gospel, but believe more boldly still in Jesus”, said Martin Luther. And that’s what we celebrate through Bold Women’s Day: women who are bold, women who take risks on account of the gospel, women who believe more boldly still in Jesus.
Every year at the Conference of Presidents held in Chicago in February, an agency is chosen to be the recipient of our in-kind giving. This year it will be http://www.sarahsinn.org/en/, an agency providing comprehensive support to those impacted by domestic violence (and even does DV prevention in the schools). With a relatively small staff they accomplish amazing things. For each of the past three years we in the NT-NL Synodical W-ELCA local units have been very generous and have sent $600 in gift cards each February. Can we do it again for a fourth year? Requested giving is in the form of gift cards in denominations of $15-$25 (from stores that carry groceries, toiletries, household items, school supplies, etc.). I encourage you in our local units to support this project. You can send the gift cards to Sarah Gohlke, 750 CR 245, Gatesville, TX 76528 by February 15th, and they will be delivered at the CoP in Chicago in February 2018.
Actions, Memorials and Resolutions – In business sessions, the voting members of the Tenth Triennial Convention of Women of the ELCA:
- Acted to affirm the ELCA’s repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery and encourage education and relationship building
- Referred to the 2017-2020 Executive Board consideration of budgetary support for Today’s Dream: Tomorrow’s Reality (TDTR) anti-racism programming.
- Resolved to raise awareness of the tainted water in Flint, Michigan, and/or offer tangible support to the people in Flint.
- Rejected the memorial to lower the number of Synodical Women’s Organization (SWO) elected board members to three.
- Resolved to support the United National Convention on the Rights of a Child and clearly condemn all forms of corporal punishment of children.
- Resolved to educate and act to reduce domestic abuse and violence and help survivors recover.
- Resolved to encourage all participants to hold in prayer the Bible Women of India.
- Resolved to establish July 11 – February 4, 2018, as a time of prayer in ELCA congregations to end human trafficking and to work in cooperation with other agencies, task forces and groups to end human trafficking and support its victims.
- Resolved to “go green” at the Eleventh Triennial Convention and Gathering in 2020, encouraging voting members and participants to reduce waste by using their personal electronic devices instead of paper and by bringing reusable cups and refillable water bottles. (Visit welca.org/shop to purchase an All Anew tumbler.)
- Resolved to support the leadership needs in the ELCA by encouraging women to seek rostered leadership and to promote support for the ELCA Fund for Leaders.
- Requested the executive board constitutional committee consider a constitutional change to allow up to two SWO board members to be from the same congregational unit. (The executive board denied this request at the October meeting.)
LWR Quilt & Kit Ministry Guide 2018-2019
Ladies who are quilters and kit makers, please have your W-ELCA president/contact person order the new guides. You can go to lwr.org or firstname.lastname@example.org to order these guides, or call 800.597.5972 for help in getting the new guides in your hands so you know about any changes that have been made.
Scheduled Gather Bible Studies
Winter 2018: Multiple meanings: Learning from other interpretations by Mark Allan Powell.
January: Session one – Washing hands with distant hearts (March 7: 1-12)
February: Session two – Prepare the Way of the Lord (Luke 3: 3-17)
March: Session three – The Good Samaritan (Luke 10-30-37)
April: Session four – The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-20)
It may be almost 3 years away still, but the church is already preparing for the 2020 Triennial Gathering!
What might you get to experience at the gathering?
- Great speakers from the church and beyond!
- Worship and fellowship with Lutheran woman from across the country and even from around the world!
- Hands-on workshops to delve deeper into scripture, the church, and your faith!
- Bible study, global connections, service events, and so much more!
The 11th Triennial Gathering will be hosted in Phoenix, AR from July 16-19, 2020. Register now so you don’t miss out on a great opportunity to gather with like-minded women for a life-changing event!
Triennial 2020 Voting Members
Begin thinking about being nominated as a voting member to the Triennial in Phoenix AZ in 2020. We probably will be able to have three voting members – our president and two others who are members of our Synod. We will be nominating these voting members at our 2018 SWO convention to be held October 12-14, 2018. We will be using the Rank Order Process to elect the voting members. There will be three tickets. Ticket A will be used to elect a woman of color or, whose primary language is other than English as set forth in the constitution. Ticket B will be used to elect the number of first time voting members as set forth in the constitution; and Ticket C will be used to elect the remaining number of nominees needed to complete the delegation. You are encouraged to begin thinking about serving as a Triennial voting member. Next Spring when the nominating committee begins its work, please contact them and complete a nomination form. No person can be nominated from the SWO Convention floor. All nominations have to be on the ballot prepared by the nominating committee. You will be able to read and/or download the Rank Order Process document from the 2017 Triennial on our NT-NL website now and the W-ELCA Church-wide website.
Also, four officers and 17 members of the Executive Board will be elected at the Triennial. If you are interested in being nominated to be an officer or a member of the executive board, please submit your application between July 30 and November 30 of 2019. I know this is a long time away, and hopefully our new SWO president will remind you. But for now, you are given this info to keep while pondering your decision. Region 4 can have three members on the Executive board, but only one from the NT-NL Synod.